Furbish provides Furnish, Install, Maintenance services for living roofs, living walls, and other ecological building systems. This job description is for Crew Foreman for green roof installations.
Installation begins when the awarded project is handed off to Project Management. The PM coordinates schedules and site readiness with the Superintendent and/or Foremen, who then prepare the crews for the job. Completion of the job is when all on-site activities are complete and maintenance is ready to commence. At this time, the PM closes out the job. Successful Installation delivers healthy living roof coverage in compliance with plans/specs and memorable customer experience while exceeding budgeted margins.
The Foreman is responsible for executing our work on specific job sites. That includes safety (always our first priority), scheduling, logistics, crew management, performance of the work, communication with Superintendent/PM and customers, and delivering the company objectives of great customer experience and targeted profit margins.
Project Manager (currently Doug Leasure in Baltimore)
- Makes safety the highest priority at all times. Possesses full understanding of company’s safety policies/procedures. Reviews site specific safety protocols with full crew before starting work on any site – ALWAYS.
- Has mastered all aspects of Crew responsibilities and duties. Is technically competent in all aspects of Installation work. Possesses full understanding of Installation policies/procedures.
- Demonstrates leadership skills. Leads the crew through example. Can manage the crew with respect. Inspires crew to high performance and high morale.
- Keeps crew properly sized and can recruit new crew members promptly if needed by establishing effective candidate pool from local resources.
- Coordinates project schedules with main office. Ensures all advance logistics have been coordinated. Understands contractual obligations and fulfills them. Knows client contacts and can coordinate schedule changes on the fly.
- Understands the “contract docs” and maintains clear understanding with Superintendent/PM for execution of all details on the job.
- Assigns crew tasks and records time accurately and on-time in company software systems. Coordinates start and end of day timing and locations. Makes adjustments to daily plans as necessary through the day demonstrating critical thinking to achieve company objectives for assigned roof projects.
- Communicates professionally and respectfully with on-site contacts to nurture customer relationships. Communicates with (including being responsive to) supervisor and main office in timely manner at all times.
- Generates “daily site reports” in timely manner taking appropriate photos, drafting relevant captions, and telling the right “story” of the roof condition. Masters use of company’s reporting software. Demonstrates ability to write with proper grammar in concise, effective manner.
- Operates and maintains company vehicles and equipment assigned to your crew. Coordinates long-term and preventative maintenance to ensure safety and maximum usefulness of vehicles and equipment.
- Collaborates effectively with supervisor, horticulturalist, and all company personnel. Daily interaction with Superintendent/PM is key. Feedback to Estimator (frequent) and Horticulturalist (occasionally) is required.
- Demonstrates constant learning in green roof systems, general contracting site management, installation protocols.
If increased responsibilities are desired, demonstrates broader learning about green roofs, competitors in local market, project opportunities on new buildings, and generally expanding understanding of the green roof installation business.
- College education is desired. High school (GED) education is expected, but not required. Proven experience supersedes formal education.
- Writing and verbal communication skills. May conduct assessment tests.
- Ability to use digital communication programs and devices, i.e. email, reporting software, time sheet app, iPad, laptop.
- General health, strength, and stamina to ensure reliable attendance and performance.
- Transportation and/or capacity to arrive to work on time every day.
- Must pass a background check and drug screening.
- Alignment with company vision and values:
- Initiative – ability to self-manage and be productive without waiting for next delegated task
- Learning – strives to learn more about sustainability, our industry, our competitors, our business process improvement.
- Commitment to customer experience – constant improvement on creative ways to make customer experience more profound.
- Judgment – capacity to gauge major/minor factors. Can make decisions on the fly with understanding of rationale for the decision. Willing to act and defend. Understands mistakes will be made and we learn from them. Not acting for fear of mistakes is unacceptable. Learning from mistakes is evidence of high performance.
- Growth – strives to understand position of superiors. Actions demonstrate ability to walk in superior’s shoes.