The Green Roof Maintenance Technician understands and is skilled in the requirements for maintenance of green roof stormwater management systems and is actively engaged in the care and establishment of healthy vegetative (plant) coverage. Green roof maintenance includes weeding, nutrient management, pruning, planting and transplanting, irrigation, and overburden repair. Maintenance Technicians must hold safety as their number one priority for self and fellow crew, and work under the direction of the Stewardship Foreman.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Safety conscious at all times. Ability to scale ladders and work on roof tops.
- Reliability is key to success. Arrive at warehouse on time, by 6:15am, Monday through Friday, ready to work productively and consistently throughout the full workday.
- Prioritize team morale. Maintain a positive attitude and be a team-player.
- Manual weeding, planting/transplanting, pruning, irrigation, and other duties as assigned by Foreman.
- Skilled with hand tool use.
- Operate mechanical landscaping equipment.
- Demonstrate constant learning of green roof systems, plant selections, maintenance protocols, and system performance.
- Communicate professionally and respectfully with on-site contacts to nurture customer relationships.
- Communicate with (including being responsive to) supervisor and main office in timely manner at all times.
- Desired – Drive company work vehicle to job sites as assigned.
- Typical work hours are 6:15am to 2:30pm, but flexibility is required. Length of days can vary.
- High school (GED) is required.
- Previous experience in landscaping and/or horticulture fields. Green roof maintenance experience is highly desired.
- Ability to take direction from Supervisor.
- OSHA-10 certification, or ability to obtain.
- Ability to work in partnership with colleagues to achieve shared goals. Practices respectful communication at all times.
- Must pass a background check and drug screening.
- Desired – Valid driver’s license with 2-year clean driving record. Ability to drive work vans.
- This position is based in Washington, DC.
- Workplace Safety
- OSHA-10 Training
- First Aid & Emergency Response
- Pesticide Applicator Training
Working Conditions and/or Physical Demands
- This position works 8-hour shifts, with overtime work required at times.
- The position requires standing, bending, kneeling, lifting of up to 50 pounds, climbing steps, setup and climbing ladders, and performing physical labor on a roof top.
- Work is outdoors. Conditions include temperature variations and weather fluctuations including, but not limited to, rain, mild wind, heat and cold.