Furbish provides Furnish, Install, Maintenance services for living roofs, living walls, and other ecological building systems. Our Stewardship Department executes the ongoing maintenance for these green systems. We maintain crews from the Baltimore office and from the DC location.
Stewardship begins when a living roof job installation is complete, or when we are contracted by a property owner/manager to take over the maintenance of an existing green roof. Our Stewardship team is responsible for establishing and maintaining healthy vegetative coverage and providing reliable ongoing care of the green roof system. Routine Stewardship services include weeding, nutrient management, pruning, replanting, irrigation (when needed), and reporting. We use the term “stewardship” because our approach is to offer oversight of evolving ecology principles rather than strict adherence to original “plans and specs”. Successful Stewardship delivers healthy living roof coverage and memorable customer experience while exceeding budgeted margins.
The Junior Foreman is responsible for executing our work on specific job sites in his/her control. That includes safety (always our first priority), logistics, crew management, performance of the work, communication with office and customers, and delivering the company objectives of great customer experience and targeted profit margins.
Reports To: Foreman (can vary from day-to-day based upon schedule)
- Makes safety the highest priority at all times. Possesses full understanding of company’s safety policies and procedures, along with OSHA-10 guidelines. Reviews site specific safety protocols with crew before starting work on any site – every visit.
- Is technically competent in all aspects of Stewardship work. Practices continuous learning and understanding of Furbish Green Roof Stewardship best practices.
- Effectively manages a crew of Stewardship Technicians. Demonstrates leadership skills. Leads the crew through example. Can manage the crew with respect. Inspires crew to high performance and high morale.
- Executes assigned maintenance routes. Prior to start of workday, possesses full understanding of advance logistics for assigned routes. Ability to coordinate schedule changes on the fly with main office.
- Manages crew tasks. Records time, tasks, materials, and visit notes accurately and on-time in company software systems.
- Responsibly operates and maintains company-assigned vehicles and equipment. Ensures vehicle is adequately supplied to perform work each day.
- Generates maintenance reports in timely manner, taking appropriate photos and documenting the roof condition and service/s provided. Masters use of company’s reporting software. Demonstrates ability to write with proper grammar in concise, effective manner. Submits reports same day as service.
- Communicates with (including being responsive to) supervisor and main office in timely manner at all times. Makes adjustments to daily plans as necessary through the day demonstrating critical thinking to achieve company objectives for assigned roof projects.
- Understands contractual obligations and fulfills them. Communicates professionally and respectfully with on-site contacts to nurture customer relationships.
- Contributes to development of each roof’s strategy with goal of achieving full, healthy plant coverage. Collaborates effectively with supervisor, horticulturalist, and all company personnel to achieve this goal.
- Demonstrates constant learning in green roof systems, plant selections, maintenance protocols, and system performance.
- Travel between Washington DC and Baltimore offices may be required. Ability to report to assigned work site for the day.
- If increased responsibilities are desired, demonstrates broader learning about green roofs, competitors in local market, project opportunities on new buildings, and generally expanding understanding of the Stewardship business.
- College education is desired. High school (GED) is required.
- Previous experience with landscaping and/or gardening. Green roof maintenance experience highly desired.
- Previous crew management experience required.
- Professional writing and verbal communication skills. Writing test to be administered for pre-qualification.
- Ability to use digital communication programs and devices, i.e. email, reporting software, time sheet app, iPad, laptop.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs, scale ladders, work outside in all weather, and bend/kneel for extended periods of time.
- OSHA-10 certification desired or will enroll in training.
- Valid driver’s license required. Ability to drive work vans and pick-up trucks. 2-year clean driving record required.
- Dedication to providing a physically and emotionally safe work environment at all times.
- Must pass a background check and drug screening.
- Job Type: Full-time/Seasonal (mid-March through November)/Hourly
- Start date: Immediate
- Salary: $18.00 to $22.00 /hour
- Experience: landscaping: 1 year (preferred)
- Benefits: After 90 days of employment
- Schedule: Monday-Friday
- Hours: Typical work hours are 6am-2pm, but flexibility is required. Length of days can vary.
- Work Remotely: No
- COVID-19 Vaccination: required