Furbish provides Furnish, Install, Maintenance services for living roofs, living walls, and other ecological building systems. Our Installation crews execute the new construction of green roofs, predominantly on new commercial construction projects. We operate crews from the Baltimore office and service any project in the mid-Atlantic.
Installation begins when the awarded project is handed off to Project Management. The Superintendent and/or PM coordinates schedules and site readiness with the Foremen who then prepare the crew for the job. Completion of the job is when all on-site activities are complete and maintenance is ready to commence. At this time, the PM closes out the job. Successful Installation delivers healthy living roof coverage in compliance with plans/specs and memorable customer experience while exceeding budgeted margins.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Shows up on time in right location every day reliably.
- Comes to work ready to work productively and consistently through the full work day.
- Makes safety the highest priority at all times.
- Follows direction of Foreman who is charged with ensuring safety on job site and deciding on relevant tasks.
- Demonstrates constant learning in green roof systems, detailing, tool use, plant selections, safety, and system performance.
- Competence to drive company vehicles in safe manner is a plus.
- Manages vehicles for loading jobs and demobilizing. Stows materials in warehouse in logical, clean manner at all times.
- Maintains company vehicles to be clean and properly maintained at all times.
- If driving a company vehicle, drives in a manner the promotes company’s commitment to responsible behavior and respect for others.
- If increased responsibilities are desired, demonstrates broader learning about green roofs, judgment and initiative to Foreman in manner that demonstrates potential for advancement.
- At all times, work with purpose and escalates issues to resolution. Demonstrates ability to act in best interest of the firm and is a productive team member.
- Contributes to our two overarching objectives – great customer experience and job profitability.
- No formal education is required. High school diploma and college degree a plus.
- General health, strength, and stamina to ensure reliable attendance and performance.
- Transportation and/or capacity to arrive to work on time every day.
- Government issued ID required on person every workday.
- Personal communication (email, cell phone, etc.) so Crew Leader can communicate on daily basis with reliability.
- Can take and follow direction, even if in disagreement with Crew Leader.
- Must pass a background test and drug screening.
- Passion for our company vision and values:
- Initiative – ability to self-manage and be productive without waiting for next delegated task
- Learning – strives to learn more about sustainability, our industry, our competitors, our business process improvement.
- Customer Experience – constant improvement on creative ways to make customer experience more profound.
- Judgment – capacity to gauge major/minor factors. Can make decisions on the fly with understanding of rationale for the decision. Willing to act and defend. Understands mistakes will be made and we learn from them. Not acting for fear of mistakes is unacceptable. Learning from mistakes is evidence of high performance.
- Growth – strives to understand position of superiors. Actions demonstrate ability to walk in superior’s shoes.