Furbish provides Furnish, Install, Maintenance services for living roofs, living walls, and other ecological building systems. The predominance of our work is competitively-bid, fixed-price contract work on new commercial construction. We strive to “get spec’d”, hold spec, and bid to win jobs. Approximately 75% of the firm’s business is greenroof related. Our customer base is predominantly general contractors (to whom we are first-tier sub) or commercial roofers (to whom we are second-tier subs).
Project Management is the process of delivering contracted work on time, at or above targeted margin, and in a manner that fosters deep customer relationships (i.e. great customer experience). Project Management begins when the job is handed off from Estimating. The role includes contract negotiation (if not completed by Estimating), scheduling, procurement, site logistics, and field execution. The job is completed with close out docs submitted, final invoicing occurs, and project handed off to Stewardship (or acknowledged complete by the client). We are relationship driven and believe great customer experience builds loyalty and more detailed dialogue when trying to close deals. Project Management needs to be performed in manner that generates targeted margin AND nurtures customer relationships for future sales.
Reports to: President of firm
- Understands contractual obligations and fulfills them.
- Completes jobs in manner that meets/exceeds targeted margins and enhances customer experience.
- Manages all aspects of the project execution acknowledging this is often managed chaos given GC juggles and roofer juggles.
- Maintains keen sense of judgment for when to push, hold firm, acquiesce, comply. Demonstrates properly that this is an art as much as a science.
- Understands plans/specs/contract documents. Navigates documents adeptly. Controls contract documents in manner that always dovetails with our scope and contractual obligations.
- Identifies risk and cost overruns in advance. Collaborates with Michael if/when appropriate to have backup.
- Navigates software tools skillfully (Planswift, Excel, LMN, CAD, etc) if/when necessary.
- Keeps schedule of backlog and job starts generally accurate (acknowledging this is a constantly moving target).
- Manages administrative support to maximize value of PM time. Gets administrator to do as many routine tasks (contract language, insurance compliance, progress billings, submittals, POs, etc.) accurately and timely so that PM can focus on job coordination, client communication and relationship building.
- Manages field crews through coordination with Director of Field Ops to ensure jobs are properly staffed, trained, and prepared to deliver in efficient manner.
- Manages safety protocols for field operations. Defines policy for Director of Field Ops to implement.
- Purchases inventory of particular items (edging, mineral wool, etc.) if holding stock allows us to be more responsive.
- Leverages relationships in industry to maximize repeat business.
- First-hand experience in green roof installations. Proven ability to see all the issues to manage job sites properly.
- Extensive experience in managing commercial construction projects as first-tier or second-tier to large general contractors. Comfortable attending progress meetings with other trades. Able to be respectful, cooperative, yet not get steam-rolled.
- Keen sense of judgment when juggling changes to schedule, scope, logistics. Can make appropriate decisions about when to change order the job or comply with curve ball requests at no cost.
- Communication skills, both written and verbal, are critical. Ability to structure concise, logical, persuasive arguments must be proven. Testing/evaluation may be requested.
- Managerial experience demonstrating ability to motivate tight-knit crew to high performance.
- Demonstrated spreadsheet (Excel) competence. Excel (or equivalent) must be readily deployed tool. Ability to self-learn additional functionality when needed is expected.
- Electronic drawing/takeoff capabilities are a plus. Currently, Planswift and LMN are primary tools. CAD and Adobe suite also useful.
- College education is expected, but not required. Proven OTJ experience supersedes formal education.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. Must have passion to make deals, generate profit, AND build lasting relationships.
- Passion for our company vison and values:
- Initiative – ability to self-manage and be productive without waiting for next delegated task
- Learning – strives to learn more about sustainability, our industry, our competitors, our business process improvement.
- Customer Experience – constant improvement on creative ways to make customer experience more profound.
- Judgment – capacity to gauge major/minor factors. Can make decisions on the fly with understanding of rationale for the decision. Willing to act and defend. Understands mistakes will be made and we learn from them. Not acting for fear of mistakes is unacceptable. Learning from mistakes is evidence of high performance.
- Growth – strives to understand position of superiors. Actions demonstrate ability to walk in superior’s shoes.
- Job Type: Full-time, Salaried
- Start date: Immediate
- Benefits: After 90 days of employment
- Schedule: Monday-Friday
- COVID-19 Vaccination: required